Kids these days will never know….

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I had a biology class at UF in the fall of '93, big class in an auditorium. The teacher had 3 overhead projectors and three screens, he would talk and write, talk and write, talk and write, going from one projector to the next....he would go through at least 5 per class. I'd be barely finished with the first one when he'd pull the sheet and start (so he'd be starting his 4th and I'm starting #2). I'd sometimes not get all the notes and would stay after class for 20-30 minutes to get it all written. I made a B- in that class. lol
Was he a little, skinny, older guy that had a funny voice and was a bit strange (I think he might have gone to school in Boston/Harvard). It sounds like him, he'd say stuff like, "I don't understand why eating is such a social thing that we all do together, but we defecate alone." He also put a couple of spiders on the overhead one day and the overhead "mysteriously" cooked them and he was horrified! I think the class was in the big Weimer auditorium next to The Hub, but mighta been in Carleton (it was a BIG auditorium).

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Was he a little, skinny, older guy that had a funny voice and was a bit strange (I think he might have gone to school in Boston/Harvard). It sounds like him, he'd say stuff like, "I don't understand why eating is such a social thing that we all do together, but we defecate alone." He also put a couple of spiders on the overhead one day and the overhead "mysteriously" cooked them and he was horrified! I think the class was in the big Weimer auditorium next to The Hub, but mighta been in Carleton (it was a BIG auditorium).
Not sure - he was very dry, didn't crack jokes, all business. I'm pretty sure it was Carleton - because it was over on that side of the campus.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Not sure - he was very dry, didn't crack jokes, all business. I'm pretty sure it was Carleton - because it was over on that side of the campus.
He was very serious when he said anything, it wasn't like cracking jokes. Definitely was fast and furious on the overheads.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He was very serious when he said anything, it wasn't like cracking jokes. Definitely was fast and furious on the overheads.
I had just transferred into UF from junior college - it was my first semester, my head was spinning (most of the classes at the junior college had no more than 30 students). I was worried about flunking out and I was taking detailed notes! I do recall several UF football players in the class - they didn't seem as worried as I did about the note taking. lol Probably the same professor you're thinking of. What year did you have him?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I had just transferred into UF from junior college - it was my first semester, my head was spinning (most of the classes at the junior college had no more than 30 students). I was worried about flunking out and I was taking detailed notes! I do recall several UF football players in the class - they didn't seem as worried as I did about the note taking. lol Probably the same professor you're thinking of. What year did you have him?
I'm pretty sure it was the same guy... I would have taken that class in either Fall 90 or Spring 91. A guy who is one of my few close friends to this day and I sat in the VERY back row right when you walked in... in the row in front of us there was a string of football players, Ed Robinson and a couple of others. I just remember Ed because my friend Craig told him to shut up during the lecture because we couldn't hear. :lol:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Used to take a big pickle jar and fill it with an ant bed. Covered jar with construction paper and punched small slits in the jar lid for air. Removed the construction paper in a few days and voila! Homemade ant farm! Can’t remember what we fed them, though, and if you made slits in the lid too big the ants would escape. Young scientist we were.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Used to take a big pickle jar and fill it with an ant bed. Covered jar with construction paper and punched small slits in the jar lid for air. Removed the construction paper in a few days and voila! Homemade ant farm! Can’t remember what we fed them, though, and if you made slits in the lid too big the ants would escape. Young scientist we were.

Colonialism at its finest. Unreal. Rough guess I’m gonna call this 1959 project.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
You realize construction paper is not air tight, right? :)

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You realize construction paper is not air tight, right? :)
Thanks Bill Nye. The construction paper was to keep the light out so the ants would tunnel up next to the glass and you could see them working and moving. Without it, they’d only tunnel in the middle of the jar.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Thanks Bill Nye. The construction paper was to keep the light out so the ants would tunnel up next to the glass and you could see them working and moving. Without it, they’d only tunnel in the middle of the jar.
Marlin Perkins has nothing on you, cover. Grin. I misread your original post and thought you only covered the top with construction paper and punched slits through the paper.

We did the same thing (without paper) with garden lizards. Put leaves and grass clippings and twigs in there for them to climb on. Always let them out after a few days.

We also had rain barrels that we would use for watering plants. Tadpoles would grow in them and I'd raise tree frogs.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Marlin Perkins has nothing on you, cover. Grin. I misread your original post and thought you only covered the top with construction paper and punched slits through the paper.

We did the same thing (without paper) with garden lizards. Always let them out after a few days.

We also had rain barrels that we would use for watering plants. Tadpoles would grow in them and I'd raise tree frogs.
Marlin Perkins and Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom was must see tv on Sunday evenings when I was coming up. The episode when the wrestled with an Anaconda was awesome for an elementary kid. The things you mentioned were what we kept ourselves occupied with. A favorite was to catch the lizards and let them clamp on to your earlobes. Always got a squeal from the girls. Those were the days.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Marlin Perkins and Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom was must see tv on Sunday evenings when I was coming up. The episode when the wrestled with an Anaconda was awesome for an elementary kid. The things you mentioned were what we kept ourselves occupied with. A favorite was to catch the lizards and let them clamp on to your earlobes. Always got a squeal from the girls. Those were the days.

There are reruns on one of the throwback cable channels, and of course episodes available on YouTube.

Looking back on it now, isn't it kinda weird that they shot a wild animal with a "harmless sedative" dart and then attached a "tiny radio transmitter" the size of a life preserver to the poor thing?

Imagine the bear or shark or wildebeest or whatever trying to explain what happened to his friends. They're like "what the fcuk is that giant orange beeping thing with the antenna stuck to your ear?" and he'd be trying to explain like an alien abduction, but can't remember exactly because he got hella roofied, and they're all pointing and laughing at him.

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

Alex.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

I dated Jim Fowler’s niece in high school. Went up to his farm outside Albany (pronounced All-benny for you damn Yankees) to camp for a weekend.
Very cool place - lots of artifacts from his travels.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I dated Jim Fowler’s niece in high school. Went up to his farm outside Albany (pronounced All-benny for you damn Yankees) to camp for a weekend.
Very cool place - lots of artifacts from his travels.
Um, how do you pronounce the capital of New York? Are you saying "all-benny" where it sounds like "awl-benny", or "awl-buh-knee"? This schit's important! Because all the knee-grows in the Army that I knew that actually went to "Awl-buh-knee State" didn't say it like they were talking about Benny Goodman! I have no idea how good white folks say it in the South because again, I only talked to the colored folks!

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Um, how do you pronounce the capital of New York? Are you saying "all-benny" where it sounds like "awl-benny", or "awl-buh-knee"? This schit's important! Because all the knee-grows in the Army that I knew that actually went to "Awl-buh-knee State" didn't say it like they were talking about Benny Goodman! I have no idea how good white folks say it in the South because again, I only talked to the colored folks!

Awl-benny- emphasis on the first syllable

It’s in the Southern handbook somewhere. I don’t have time right now to look it up or I would.

Also - it’s pronounced KAY-ro. (Cairo).
That one’s a bonus… you’re welcome.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Awl-benny- emphasis on the first syllable

It’s in the Southern handbook somewhere. I don’t have time right now to look it up or I would.

Also - it’s pronounced KAY-ro. (Cairo).
That one’s a bonus… you’re welcome.
I have never, ever, heard a single person that went to Albany State pronounce it any differently than that of the capital of NY... can't even find a video on youtube where they don't pronounce it the same way.

As for Cairo... well all know where Cairo is!

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I have never, ever, heard a single person that went to Albany State pronounce it any differently than that of the capital of NY... can't even find a video on youtube where they don't pronounce it the same way.

As for Cairo... well all know where Cairo is!

Maybe we’re a little confused-
I’m talking about

B856AFA4-B7B4-4F1D-BC1C-5CD6308F1743.jpeg

That’s how we pronounced it growing up in Tallahassee

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.