RIP rogdochar - Gatorchatter will never be the same

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I dread logging in and finding that another member passed. Rog was surely constant.
Thank you for the info Lee.

You old guys, stop dying.
And you middle aged guys, take better care of yourselves so you can live a long life.

RIP Doc

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Lee, thanks for taking the time to give us a piece of @rogdochar beyond the funny avatar and his ability to always outwit the sentence that we know him for here. Thoughts and prayers to you and yours.

@oxrageous, I dont know how hard it would be to do but it would really be cool if there was a memorial thread created for him that had a lot of his zingers and puns.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Rog has been here for years and was loved by all, even those of us that couldnt understand his posts half the time.

Im pretty sure he is the only gsmb/gcmb poster who never had a single other poster dislike him. everyone liked him.

Rest in peace friend. You will be missed by all.

Grumbler

Lifetime Member
Nov 24, 2017
Hello. I read all these posts, lol, I needed the laughs. Unfortunately, some of you were correct, Rogdochar kicked the bucket from the 50 yard line. I'm Lee, one of his nephews. Roger (James Roger Harrison DDS), age 77, passed away Saturday afternoon after a 2 week struggle following a bad stroke. I brought him his laptop so he could do computer stuff in the hospital but he wasn’t physically able after a couple days.

He did not suffer long and passed peacefully in his sleep on a morphine/versed drip. I won’t get specific, but he had chronic health issues and also got covid…a weak covid strain but it didn’t help matters. We tried to stay with him as much as possible, but the ridiculous covid rules made it difficult. I’m pissed at myself for not challenging that BS more. Guilt and bereavement are kissing cousins.

We are touched you all missed him enough to write him. He loved chatting here and mentioned some of your handles like Ox, LadyGat, Auggie.

I’ll tell you some things about who he was…

He was a dentist for most of his adult life. He struggled with Dental School due to a brain trauma from boxing, but graduated, starting a successful practice after doing charity dentistry in the Virginias (there’s a joke there about toothbrushes). He had a practice in Miami, Orange Park, then Callahan. Miami was his favorite due to the coral reefs. He was an avid diver and could tell you everything about any sea critter. It was like having David Attenborough, Jacques Cousteau, and Steve Zissou at your table. He disliked being a dentist as he hated causing patients pain, but he was a damn good DDS. I still have a filling and crown he did over 20 years ago, while most dentists’ work goes south a year or two after the guarantee period. He undercharged people, and often came in on weekends to see people sooner. He was rarely thanked for it but kept doing it.

My uncle was brilliant. He should’ve been a writer or industrial designer, he was always writing and left behind many journals full of witticisms and incredible engineering ideas. I’m going to make some time to publish his stuff and patent some of his inventions. He was often stubborn & difficult. He was unlucky in love…VERY unlucky in love. He was his own worst enemy, which is usually the case for the majority of us. But most importantly, he was a good man who deserved more from life and we loved him. I’ll miss his vivid stories and dad jokes.

There won’t be a wake for him. There should be, it’s just not feasible. I’m trying to convince everyone we should publish an obit. He did no funeral planning, just said he wished to be cremated. In a couple of weeks I’m going to take him to one of his dive sites in S. FL and sink him there so he can be among his beloved marine life, waltzing with the dance of the currents. And maybe he’ll wash up into some bikinis…he’d probably appreciate that.

I’ll check back here to see if anyone has any questions, or feedback on how to charter this expedition. Thank you for reading this & for keeping him company. This forum helped him more than you can know.
Lee, we loved Rog around here... he always managed to make you smile. Sometimes it was that bemused shake-your-head kind of smile, but always a smile. Thanks for the insight into his life... and here's hoping you'll stick around and carry on the legacy, or make your own!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I just saw this posted over in the other forum. Sad news indeed. Some comical responses here. This place truly is a "family".....

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I just saw this posted over in the other forum. Sad news indeed. Some comical responses here. This place truly is a "family".....
Me too and didn't realize there was a thread here about it already, so will repost what I wrote:

This is very, very, very sad news. No offense to Cooter but it's the saddest thing I've ever read on here. @rogdochar was my favorite poster on this site, and I mean that sincerely.

My primary purpose in participating here is for laughs. Even when I get in one of my notorious pissing matches, I always try to inject humor into it so someone will think it's funny, even if I'm pissed at whoever I'm addressing. Often that "someone" was rog. I bet he gave me more "funny" ratings than anyone here. Maybe you need to have some sort of traumatic brain injury to appreciate my humor sometimes, but he got my jokes and I got a huge kick out of his.

@rogdochar never, ever came anywhere close to annoying or antagonizing me one single time. All he ever did, with damn near everything he ever posted, was make me smile, chuckle or outright laugh out loud. So given my stated reason for coming here, how could I not love that guy? To me, he was the most uniquely entertaining poster on this site, bar none. Bar NONE.

God bless you @rogdochar.This website won't be the same without you. I will really and truly miss you man, and I hope to meet you in person someday.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
An absolute class act who always stayed out of the constant fracas this place is known for.

May God rest his soul. Lee, deepest sympathies to you and your family.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
I very seldom read every post on a thread, but this is one of the exceptions; the posts about rog on this thread are very engaging and a fine tribute to a worthy individual. Unfortunately, I didn't know rog like many of you. From what I read here, he must have been one of the crown jewels on this board and he will certainly be missed. Rest in Peace

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Being 77 might be extremely old for some of us, but to me( my selfish side telling me) he was taken from us too soon. It seems like he lived at least a good life.
We all miss you brother.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Being 77 might be extremely old for some of us, but to me( my selfish side telling me) he was taken from us too soon. It seems like he lived at least a good life.
We all miss you brother.
Way too young.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
He was unlucky in love…VERY unlucky in love.

Not around here, he wasn't. :shakehead:

Thanks, @AuggieDosta, for sharing this great story that was posted a little bit before my time on the site:

Age 5, I had a Heinz 57 wire-haired terrier. United forces couldn't keep him away from me.
His "at-my-sideness" caused me much embarrassment. Sunday, church deacons volunteered to
stay outside to reject "Teddy". So our pastor is speeching the dedication of our new baptysmal
(just there, behind those long wine-colored drapes). He turns arm-sweep gesturing, the curtains
open displaying a glass-front pool, ice-blue water and Teddy's face turned to the congregation.
I'm sure he was staring at that water figuring how he could get a drink, when the magic of the
curtains opening caused him to turn to the crowd. Everybody knew Teddy. Everybody gave a
good ole Christian fellowship laugh. It seems with deacon-guarded front doors, Teddy found a
long board some carpenter left slanting into an open window at the backof the church. Teddy just
waltzed up. The church body finally gave up hampering Teddy's church access; it must've been
the will of God.

So, sitting in my pew waiting for my name to be called to get my "perfect attendance" Vacation Bible School diploma, my pastor called out "Teddy Harrison" and I had to march up to get Teddy's perfect attendance diploma; of course Teddy marched right by me.

That small community was called Cantonment, (Pensacola outpost). For Homecoming (I'm still 5),
the Moms of us 5 y.o.s sewed animal costumes, Dads built wood-slat cages atop red wagons. They were all strung together and pulled by tractor across the FB field like some circus parade. In front of
all those people shy me was fine. I was in disguise, no one knew who was who. Then, I heard a
wave of laughter wafting along the stands. I saw people pointing. I looked down the line and there, sniffing every cage, came Teddy. When he got to my cage he popped loose 2 slats and crowded in with me. I was the only creature everybody identified.

After that incident at church, Teddy almost got evicted from the house, but luckily rog re-negotiated the terms of his leash. :rimshot:

I know that before rog crosses over to the Pearly Gates, he will find good ol' Teddy waiting for him at the foot of that bridge.

d2a7e2bcb3eaa51e9f1174c49b40cae7.jpg

Teddy will say, "Howl you doing, Pawther? Looks like you had a ruff day!"

And rog will reply, "Quit hounding me, Teddy! Now we can be together fur-ever, and I'm pawsitively sure we'll have a ball."

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Me too and didn't realize there was a thread here about it already, so will repost what I wrote:

This is very, very, very sad news. No offense to Cooter but it's the saddest thing I've ever read on here. @rogdochar was my favorite poster on this site, and I mean that sincerely.

My primary purpose in participating here is for laughs. Even when I get in one of my notorious pissing matches, I always try to inject humor into it so someone will think it's funny, even if I'm pissed at whoever I'm addressing. Often that "someone" was rog. I bet he gave me more "funny" ratings than anyone here. Maybe you need to have some sort of traumatic brain injury to appreciate my humor sometimes, but he got my jokes and I got a huge kick out of his.

@rogdochar never, ever came anywhere close to annoying or antagonizing me one single time. All he ever did, with damn near everything he ever posted, was make me smile, chuckle or outright laugh out loud. So given my stated reason for coming here, how could I not love that guy? To me, he was the most uniquely entertaining poster on this site, bar none. Bar NONE.

God bless you @rogdochar.This website won't be the same without you. I will really and truly miss you man, and I hope to meet you in person someday.
That was me GGG...I knew some don't post in Sports much...so I reposted it...sorry OX

As for Rog...I totally agree

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Rog always stuck to his guns. All he ever wanted was a dominant 7 footer on the basketball team, and he never backed down from that. Even when a new big guy would get here and he would suck, Rog was ever hopeful that the big would turn it around. It's a shame he won't see that happen.

Rog's first post

and his 2nd post and great shot at Wobble. Preview is the same above, but will take you to the post.

Last edited:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This thread in itself is a tribute to just how admired Rog was. I have literally been thinking about this all day. Just flat out sucks. Being 55, I'm nearer to that age than I was yesterday. But you can tell just how much we all enjoyed his wit and humor here. We will never replace someone like him. I am very certain referenced to Rog will be here for a long time to come. I'll say it again.......RIP Rog, yell loud for us in your seats above the stadium.

In honor or Rogdo........

1661368167791.png

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Such sad news. RIP Rog. We’ve lost a giant. One of mine, and everyone else’s favorite posters. Literally a savant of the pun and written word in general. The way he saw patterns, association, and interplay with words and phrases would have made Shakespeare jealous. And one helluva nice guy to boot.

Peace and comfort to his friends and family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.