Should the 3 point line be banned from college and pro basketball?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
They need to stop catering to star players, not get rid of the 3. I know Jordan got away with some stuff but he came up in a time when the other team could at least punish him with very hard fouls. Lebron, Curry, Harden, etc. are protected outright by the refs. That’s what’s embarrassing.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
No. Chicks dig the long ball. It’s the opposition’s problem if they can’t stop it, just like it’s their problem if they can’t stop a guy from dunking all game. Hell, I say there should be a 4 pt shot for anything past 28 feet. You can’t tell me it isn’t exciting to see a guy like Curry or Thompson in the zone, scoring 13 or 14 in a game.
I don't find it exciting to watch a guy jack 3's, sorry. I was a pretty damn good shooter from back there when I was in my 20's. If I could do it, then it's not that exciting. I watch these guys in order to see amazing athleticism.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
:exactly:

They should be able to hit, and yet... they don't.
Pitchers not being able to hit is not new to the game.
It's just not important to their development.
So why subject their ineptitude to the paying public?
It's like watching Garo Yepremian throw a pass.
I grew up a Redskins fan. I love watching Garo throw a pass!

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't find it exciting to watch a guy jack 3's, sorry. I was a pretty damn good shooter from back there when I was in my 20's. If I could do it, then it's not that exciting. I watch these guys in order to see amazing athleticism.

Couldn’t disagree with you more. Also, if you were as good at shooting as you claim, you’d have more reverence for the art of long range shooting, Ox. Also, I doubt you were shooting that well while playing against some of the most athletic humans on the planet at the time.

You think it doesn’t take balls of steel and insane skill to attempt something like this under the circumstances, let alone drain it? That’s damn near from half-court!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Couldn’t disagree with you more. Also, if you were as good at shooting as you claim, you’d have more reverence for the art of long range shooting, Ox. Also, I doubt you were shooting that well while playing against some of the most athletic humans on the planet at the time.

You think it doesn’t take balls of steel and insane skill to attempt something like this under the circumstances, let alone drain it? That’s damn near from half-court!

Yes, I was playing against NBA-caliber athletes on the Hume courts.

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
I’d love to see the charge line removed, defensive 3 seconds removed as a violation, and the shot clock changed to 35 seconds. That would make the NBA interesting.

The 24 second shot clock, the charge line, and defensive 3 seconds are the things that have made the NBA what it is today. Change those and I might watch again.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If you get rid of the 3 point line, you’ll end up with 10 guys jumbled up 15 feet from the rim. There won’t be any incentive to shoot from further out. Then you’ll see fewer dunks with the defense packed into the paint. That’s why they moved the 3 point line back in college. I don’t think the college arc should be NBA range, but they could definitely move it back some more.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

If you took away the 3 point line, there would be alot less dunks and displays of athleticism. There would be no spacing. Everyone would be packed in the lane and teams would be running sets to get the best midrange jumper they could get.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I can't even tell which side t is on. He changes at least every three posts.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If you took away the 3 point line, there would be alot less dunks and displays of athleticism. There would be no spacing. Everyone would be packed in the lane and teams would be running sets to get the best midrange jumper they could get.
You’re drunk. There were long range jump shooters before the 3 point line, and there would be long range jump shooters without a 3 point line. There just wouldn’t be a stupid line on the court they felt they had to stand behind the whole game.

Pete Maravich jacked it from everywhere just fine without a line. 44 PPG without one, to be exact.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Exactly. They'd have to actually play basketball.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Interesting thread. I'm with Ox on this. The three has completely changed the game. With the three you need to have more athletic players that can defend the three point line, but not necessarily skilled basketball players that can pass and shoot. Without the three, the game was played at the rim. Size and post play was paramount. Smaller guys that could shoot could still play, but they weren't as important. Movement, passing, and great post play won the day. If you didn't have that, you had to run and gun. It was a much, much better game.

Now on the the DH. Pitching and hitting are different skills. Expecting a pitcher to be a good hitter is kind of like expecting a keeper in soccer to be able to hit a one-timer in the back of the net. Completely different skills. Let the pitchers pitch and the hitters hit.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Don't act like the Jordan era lacked great basketball. If you agree it was great, then the three point line didn't break basketball. That was a whole different game without adding or taking anything away. The league and its officials got soft. Now here we are...

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Don't act like the Jordan era lacked great basketball. If you agree it was great, then the three point line didn't break basketball. That was a whole different game without adding or taking anything away. The league and its officials got soft. Now here we are...
Jordan was great....the Jordan era....not so sure. The NBA adopted the 3 in 79. Took awhile for the league to adapt, then in 01 they did away with illegal defense and allowed teams to play zone. Imagine that, the greatest players on the planet and they can't play man D. That was the death nail to me. No more movement, passing, drop steps, etc, just dunks and threes......yawn.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You’re drunk. There were long range jump shooters before the 3 point line, and there would be long range jump shooters without a 3 point line. There just wouldn’t be a stupid line on the court they felt they had to stand behind the whole game.

Pete Maravich jacked it from everywhere just fine without a line. 44 PPG without one, to be exact.
Yeah that was before they let black people play. Doesn't really count.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

and with a 3pt line he averages over 50 pts a game for his career.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Exactly. They'd have to actually play basketball.

If we are going to play real basketball, let's get rid of the shot clock, the jump shot, and man to man defense. Go back to layups and two-handed set shots. Run a three man weave against a 2-1-2 zone. Go back to 3-2 scores. A real barn burner blowout would be 8-5...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator