The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Utah

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I was upset as most, but I did see alot of positives as mentioned by some. This is why Game1 used to be cupcakes. I’ll start panicking if we are not 2-2 by game 4. I was actually pleasantly surprised with QB play, defense played well overall, UTAH will be in playoffs and that was a tough environment. To me this whole season is about holding onto ‘24 class.

Yes alot of mistakes, coaching, blah blah.
We have another game in 6 days, and I’ll be routing for the GATORS next saturday as well

Go Gators
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
View attachment 61349

Mertz - not on the early Heisman watch, but not the dog that many feared, either, in this small and skewed sample. 31/44 for 333, 1 TD, 1 Int; got the hell beat out of him but kept going. If we can protect him, he’ll be serviceable at worst, but we can win with him…if he’s not killed in action.

View attachment 61350

The OL was hot garbage. Could not muster a running game, crazy with two stud RBs, couldn’t protect the QB, couldn’t line up, couldn’t go on the cadence. Hard to gauge how strong, cohesive, and able they really are because they were so bad technically. They had a hand in 1/13 3rd down efficiency.

View attachment 61351

Billy and the staff were a disorganized series of car wrecks. And understand, I like the guy’s intangibles…recruiting, overall program rebuild, growing high character guys, etc. But he will be the next fired millionaire sooner than later if he doesn’t get an OC, a Spec Teams coordinator, and start getting in some assistant coach and ga @sses when we have two #3’s in at the same time, miss FGs, can’t line up, and can’t block dick. All the goodwill built up by the positive changes Billy brought in were thrown out the car window with the empty beer bottles on the road trip home from Salt Lake City.

*My disclaimer…I had duty at a HS game and followed on my phone as I could, so I’m following with this small departure from the usual. Caught the 4th quarter on the radio while riding home. Watched the highlights when I got home and then this morning. Vomited. I’ll watch a rebroadcast later on. I want Billy to succeed. I think he is a good man with great program ideas. But he needs to be the CEO, not OC or ST Coordinator. If he doesn’t last, neither should Stricklin and Foley should have already been long gone.

:chomp:
Thanks, cover. Clear and to the point without all the hysterics here since Thursday night.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I was upset as most, but I did see alot of positives as mentioned by some. This is why Game1 used to be cupcakes. I’ll start panicking if we are not 2-2 by game 4. I was actually pleasantly surprised with QB play, defense played well overall, UTAH will be in playoffs and that was a tough environment. To me this whole season is about holding onto ‘24 class.

Yes alot of mistakes, coaching, blah blah.
We have another game in 6 days, and I’ll be routing for the GATORS next saturday as well

Go Gators
If we're not at least 2-2 after game 4 that means he lost to either Mcneese State or Charlotte or both and would most certainly be the nail in his coffin.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Keep seeing talk about the defense being improved, and maybe it will be, but I’m not buying it right now.

Utah got out to a big lead and sat on it, knowing we couldn’t get out of our own way on offense. On top of that, they missed two wide open, walk in touchdowns, one on the halfback pass and the other on a 3rd down with a WR running free who flat dropped it.

Oh, and it was against their 3rd string QB who we got 0 pressure and 0 sacks against.

I am interested to see how the defense looks vs Tennessee. That will tell us a lot more.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Keep seeing talk about the defense being improved, and maybe it will be, but I’m not buying it right now.

Utah got out to a big lead and sat on it, knowing we couldn’t get out of our own way on offense. On top of that, they missed two wide open, walk in touchdowns, one on the halfback pass and the other on a 3rd down with a WR running free who flat dropped it.

Oh, and it was against their 3rd string QB who we got 0 pressure and 0 sacks against.

I am interested to see how the defense looks vs Tennessee. That will tell us a lot more.
The defense was improved, those saying it wasn't are being ridiculous. However, the defense was so bad the last two years that saying it's improved isn't really saying much.

I know it's hard to buck the narrative, but it is possible to say something positive about the Gators and not burst into flames.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
The defense was improved, those saying it wasn't are being ridiculous. However, the defense was so bad the last two years that saying it's improved isn't really saying much.

I know it's hard to buck the narrative, but it is possible to say something positive about the Gators and not burst into flames.

I guess that’s true. Improved isn’t saying much, and I guess I’m not good at finding positives after an embarrassment on national TV to start the season

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
As usual a spot on recap by Cover. It was a classic case of self inflicted wounds, and a couple of blown coverages on defense. I was impressed with Mertz, and no surprise in that many fans bought into the narrative that he wasn't very good. I am sure he was focused on proving everyone wrong. The dreaded dual QB approach usually causes problems for a defense and this game was no different. It appeared that we made adjustments in the second half, but still no pressure on QBs. We did finally see a Gator QB that could check into plays that have a better chance of working. However in listening to the radio heads it sounded like our receivers may not have been running the correct check down routes. Crowd noise a factor. No idea how good or bad we are. How good is Utah ?

It appears that the UT game will provide a good measuring stick tor this years Gator team. After that game we will all be a lot smarter than we are now.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

The defense is very young and inexperienced. In addition, they are 10 - 20 lbs light right now. They are a little slow because of their indecisiveness (youth). We'll have issues with SEC offenses because of youth.

Despite all of that, they played much better than I was expecting. They held on 3rd downs. (3/13). They tackled. They covered (mostly). And schematically, the coaches put the players in the right call (mostly). Utah is no Vandy, but they're pretty good.

The only downside I saw was, as the game progressed, they took longer and longer to get set. Not sure what the underlying issue was.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
Moten was garbage in the first play. Never should’ve happened with his game experience. Start Castell.

Mitchell is third string talent. Put him there. Let Robinson take some snaps.

Do we really think Harris and Kearney couldn’t do better on the line?

Did anyone else see Princely not get a sack on a true freshman. Say bye bye to 1st thru 3rd round
Princely missed one with a holding call. Good news is that we didn't have any on us. Bad news is we didn't get away with any.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think I saw a comment from Ox on one of the threads where he said he was "disappointed". I think that describes how I feel perfectly. I had hope based on the uptick in recruiting and all the team chemistry and holding each other accountable lies in the offseason. Yup, highly disappointed. They looked like the bad news bears out there.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
The defense is very young and inexperienced. In addition, they are 10 - 20 lbs light right now. They are a little slow because of their indecisiveness (youth). We'll have issues with SEC offenses because of youth.

Despite all of that, they played much better than I was expecting. They held on 3rd downs. (3/13). They tackled. They covered (mostly). And schematically, the coaches put the players in the right call (mostly). Utah is no Vandy, but they're pretty good.

The only downside I saw was, as the game progressed, they took longer and longer to get set. Not sure what the underlying issue was.
Need to get calls in faster on both sides of the ball. I'll give Armstrong a little leash since it was his first game as DC.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Need to get calls in faster on both sides of the ball. I'll give Armstrong a little leash since it was his first game as DC.
On the road.

Plus, not a lot of stupid penalties on his side of the ball.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Does tempo and hurry up go with a guy on the sidelines so relaxed? It is starting to bother me that our offense takes so long to run the play and that Napier is an unemotional spectator on the sidelines.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Does tempo and hurry up go with a guy on the sidelines so relaxed? It is starting to bother me that our offense takes so long to run the play and that Napier is an unemotional spectator on the sidelines.
Those of you who keep expecting Napier to act like Muschamp on the sideline are going to continue to be disappointed.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Those of you who keep expecting Napier to act like Muschamp on the sideline are going to continue to be disappointed.

Can he act like a coach who’s down 13 points(not up 13) inside the final 6 minutes of a game? For all the analytics talk, you’d think someone would mention that on-side kicks are about the lowest probability play in football. Any risks of mistakes you may run going with more of a tempo approach while attempting a comeback, are far less than having to rely on an on-side kick.

You could also try not being down double digits in the second half of every game, but let’s just start small for now.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
No one expects that or wants that. No one wants to see a raging damned lunatic on the sidelines.

It would be nice to see a meltdown like Mac had on Taylor after his antics after scoring.
Perhaps get in the grill of one of the number 3's that fielded another punt inside the damn 5 yard line?
Getting in the faces of the O Lineman on the sidelines or chewing the shiit out of one of the o lineman coaches, would at least show he's had enough of the incompetence.

Or maybe one of those "hurry up" motions when down two scores and 7 minutes to play knowing? the clock doesn't stop for a first down.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Very good point. To me it speaks indirectly to the need for an OC/play caller. I get that Billy wants to be controlled and very systematic and if you’ve got the OL that can move the furniture it is understandable, but we’re not blessed, yet, with that kind of OL and the need to go up-tempo will be a part of every game, particularly when we are ending the halves offensively, are behind the score and the clock, if we have a sudden change and the opposing D is sucking wind, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator