Welcome 5* QB Matt Corral

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Allen strikes me as the type who'll compete. I think he'll pass Franks and Trask before the 2018 season. I think he'll just outwork them. Corral being an EE is huge.
Franks was coming even if we landed a 5 star too. Don't write him off. I think he knew he needed a shirt and a few years to be ready.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Franks was coming even if we landed a 5 star too. Don't write him off. I think he knew he needed a shirt and a few years to be ready.
I just really hate the reports that he's hitting the clubs and not putting enough work in. I really don't like the reports that he wouldn't help recruit his class either. Just have never been a fan, so i'm probably showing some bias.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I just really hate the reports that he's hitting the clubs and not putting enough work in. I really don't like the reports that he wouldn't help recruit his class either. Just have never been a fan, so i'm probably showing some bias.

He grew up too close to Tallahassee. Kinda like growing up near Chernobyl.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
So with Corral committing, does Jake Allen transfer?

I wouldn't think so yet, heck he may look better in fall practice than Franks. I say he at least sticks around through next spring to see how he stacks up agains Corral. Then we'll probably have a couple bolt. Lol, but hopefully some stay for depth purposes.

gatorjohn

Founding Member
Rev
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
My opinion of Jake Allen is that he will compete and thinks positive (unlike some posters I won't mention). I believe he thinks he is better than all including Corral. Whether he really is, is a different story, but he has confidence in his abilities and work ethic. I do think he may outwork many on our roster.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My opinion of Jake Allen is that he will compete and thinks positive (unlike some posters I won't mention). I believe he thinks he is better than all including Corral. Whether he really is, is a different story, but he has confidence in his abilities and work ethic. I do think he may outwork many on our roster.

FTR, I like you much better than SoberJohn. Pretty sure that dude wasn't sober though.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Another analysis of Corral.....

http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1792928-commitment-analysis-matt-corral?s=168

Commitment Analysis: Breaking Down New Florida QB Commit Matt Corral

Matt Corral
Polytechnic HSLong Beach, CA
6'2" / 196 lbs / 4.8s

Position: Quarterback
Height: 6-2
Weight: 195 pounds

Recruiting: Corral was an early commitment to USC but the two party's went their separate ways in mid-June. The signal caller immediately set his sights on a pair of SEC schools, Florida and Georgia. The plan for Corral was to make visits to both schools and then make a decision shortly after his final visit to Athens. Corral never made it to UGA as he fell in love with the Gators on his trip and committed while still on campus.

What to Like: In terms of physical tools, Corral has few peers. He has the strongest arm in the country and one of the stronger ones we've seen come out of the West in some time. He's a tough kid who will stand in the pocket and take a shot in order to deliver the football and is a good athlete who can move away from pressure, buy time and either make a throw down the field or gain positive yards with his legs. He plays with a fearlessness to him and isn't afraid to take chances, which can be a plus and also something he'll need to reign in a bit at the next level. He throws the deep ball with great touch and accuracy and has a great feel for when to put some extra heat on a ball and when to change speeds and take a little off. He's very good at rolling out and throwing to his right or left and can get the ball off from different arm angles. He's a highly competitive kid who hates to lose and is a fierce competitor.

Areas to improve: As mentioned above, Corral can be a risk taker at times and force some throws in to coverage because he trusts his arm so much. He only threw three picks as a junior but will need to be careful with the football at the next level. Off the field, some have questioned Corral's leadership and point to his much publicized transfer out of Oaks Christian and de-commitment from USC as red flags. From talking with the coaches at LB Poly, they said Corral has been a model citizen and leader on and off the field and has been tremendous since he arrived. He's a very popular kid among his peers, well liked and respected and we think he'll be just fine in Gainesville.

Overall Analysis: There is no doubt Corral has special ability and has all the tools to be a franchise quarterback. Florida really is a great situation for him, not just in terms of the depth chart, but how he'll fit in at the school. We like the idea of Corral leaving home to play his college ball, where he'll be able to focus on school and football without the distractions that can happen closer to home. Doug Nussmeier is a very well respected QB Coach and has the ideal personality to work well with the ultra intense Corral. The Gators have struggled a bit over the last few years finding a quarterback who can get them over the hump. If Corral develops as expected and the coaching staff can maximize his talent and ability, there is no doubt he's a kid should be able to win a lot of games and play on Sunday's as well.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Hmmm. His accuracy in the video is good but not "wow". Throwing against air, the receivers are waiting on a lot of his throws. A couple may be back shoulder intentionally but most aren't. On the crossing routes, guys are reaching back for the ball. He throws the seam routes really well.

I'm sure he's earned his stars. I hope he sticks to his commitment.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
The real question is, is it even possible to quantify the amount of ass corral going to get at UF. Not to be ghey but he's a good looking dude. Gonna slay it.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Hmmm. His accuracy in the video is good but not "wow". Throwing against air, the receivers are waiting on a lot of his throws. A couple may be back shoulder intentionally but most aren't. On the crossing routes, guys are reaching back for the ball. He throws the seam routes really well.

I'm sure he's earned his stars. I hope he sticks to his commitment.
giphy.gif

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Welcome to Gator Nation Matt!

:chomp: :chomp:

I agree that this guy doesn't seem afraid of competition. I was also thinking that after being committed to PSU, Fields would probably be more wary of the 'slick Willy, used car salesman' recruiters and more open to the 'less pressured, easy-going' style that Mac exudes. Perhaps it was true for Corral also. ...and as unlikely as it seems, I'm not closing the door on the possibility of Fields choosing the good guys either. I'd welcome them both!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.