Why Muschamp will be here next season

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n81016 said:
it's not the same SEC west as it was back then. I'm not pumping freeze up but I do like him better than what we have and alot of other people we've thrown around. I gotta I don't think freeze would be gotten simply because he's worth more to ole miss than he would be to us and they'd match or up the anty with any offer we could give him. I think he's definitely a long shot

great a slight upgrade, and in 4 years we are looking for another upgrade, we are a top 5 Program. We settled on Zook, and apparently we are willing to settle on a guy who has had the same SEC record that Muschamp had with the worst team in the last 3 decades. Last years UF SEC record 3-5, that's acceptable.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n81035 said:
I didn't say to keep Muschamp, so...

He tends to go that route if you do not agree exactly with what he says. If you don't agree with him word for word you are saying we should keep the current staff.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n81194 said:
He tends to go that route if you do not agree exactly with what he says. If you don't agree with him word for word you are saying we should keep the current staff.

Sounds like a lot of people on this board.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n81061 said:
You think Freeze may go 3-5 in the SEC again this year? :crazy:

I'd fall on my knees and thank God if we landed someone like Hugh Freeze. The very idea of even a mildly competent staff makes me feel kinda funny. Just imagine watching football again and not feeling embarrassed!

For all those who complained that the bar was set too high at UF, they should be happy. It's been lowered so far it's rolling on the ground.

He currently has 3 wins. So mathematically it is still possible. But he has been 7-6 (3-5) BBVA Compass Bowl, 8-5 (3-5) Music City Bowl, and currently 6-0 (3-0). Muschamp was 7-6 (3-5) Gator Bowl, 12-2 (7-1) Sugar Bowl, 4-8 (3-5) Stay at Home Bowl, and currently 3-2 (2-2) Moving Truck/Pink Slip Bowl.

I'm sorry that I think this is the University of Florida, one of the top 5 jobs in the country, and we can do better than a middling coach in the SEC. Before this season would Freeze be on any of your short lists for Head Coach?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
alcoholica;n81144 said:
Here's a different take on Muschamp. What does he do if Treon starts to play and he is actually competent? I think we all know the whole team is going to rally around Harris, they've already shown that at UT. If Harris actually plays well, will Muschamp actually begin to trust the offense enough for us to be successful? The point is that the coaching staff may be playing tight because Driskel has the same effect on them as he does on his teammates. Driskel is just so uninspiring. Can Harris actually change the way Muschamp and Roper are coaching?

Only one way to find out. The ball is clearly in WM's court. By the sound of his practice interviews, I think we're going to see TH only in a few situational plays. Still talked about the "hot hand" and making a decision. In short, while I welcome the idea and the optimism that goes along with it, I think you're giving WM way too much credit. I don't think he gets it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
TheDouglas78;n81200 said:
He currently has 3 wins. So mathematically it is still possible. But he has been 7-6 (3-5) BBVA Compass Bowl, 8-5 (3-5) Music City Bowl, and currently 6-0 (3-0). Muschamp was 7-6 (3-5) Gator Bowl, 12-2 (7-1) Sugar Bowl, 4-8 (3-5) Stay at Home Bowl, and currently 3-2 (2-2) Moving Truck/Pink Slip Bowl.

I'm sorry that I think this is the University of Florida, one of the top 5 jobs in the country, and we can do better than a middling coach in the SEC. Before this season would Freeze be on any of your short lists for Head Coach?

I endorse this post. And as I've said, while he may not be my first choice, I still think what Mullen has done is more impressive to me. Not a Freeze fan.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n81225 said:
I endorse this post. And as I've said, while he may not be my first choice, I still think what Mullen has done is more impressive to me. Not a Freeze fan.

Mullen has been more impressive, it's harder to win at Mississippi State than Ole Miss. I do not think either should be on the short list though.

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
williston_gator;n80429 said:
If there's ever a year to beat UGA it's this one. They're winning, but I don't know how. They have a very mediocre team.

Allow me to introduce you to the 2014 Florida Gators... you may have seen them before, when they were in a movie called the 'Bad News Bears'.. except for the lovable underdog winning part.

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
TheDouglas78;n81228 said:
Mullen has been more impressive, it's harder to win at Mississippi State than Ole Miss. I do not think either should be on the short list though.

I agree...if it does eventually happen it needs to be a young mind that has had great success like Urbs did. Someone who has taken some small program and turned it around and sustained it.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Saban's first big time head coaching job was at Michigan State coming off a solid year at Toledo. In the 5 years at Sparty he went 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6, 9-2. Then he went to LSU. I think Foley will give Muschamp more time based off Saban's mediocre performance the first several years at Sparty, unless this year just gets worse.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
MidwestChomp;n81276 said:
Saban's first big time head coaching job was at Michigan State coming off a solid year at Toledo. In the 5 years at Sparty he went 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6, 9-2. Then he went to LSU. I think Foley will give Muschamp more time based off Saban's mediocre performance the first several years at Sparty, unless this year just gets worse.

We're not Michigan State. There is zero reason for our overall record to be what it is.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n81144 said:
Here's a different take on Muschamp. What does he do if Treon starts to play and he is actually competent? I think we all know the whole team is going to rally around Harris, they've already shown that at UT. If Harris actually plays well, will Muschamp actually begin to trust the offense enough for us to be successful? The point is that the coaching staff may be playing tight because Driskel has the same effect on them as he does on his teammates. Driskel is just so uninspiring. Can Harris actually change the way Muschamp and Roper are coaching?

Just another reason for him to be fired for sticking with Driskel week after week and not trying something different until it's too late.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
soflagator;n81282 said:
We're not Michigan State. There is zero reason for our overall record to be what it is.

I agree. I'm thinking Foley thinks of Muschamp as a Saban type and will give him the benefit of the doubt.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
MidwestChomp;n81329 said:
I agree. I'm thinking Foley thinks of Muschamp as a Saban type and will give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think the risk is just too great. We've already seen a resurgence in Tally, not to mention the SEC as a whole is rolling right now. Waiting any longer risks losing all that was accomplished from '90-2010. If you asked me if I'm 100% sure WM doesn't end up being a good HC down the line, I'd answer "no". But if you asked me if I'm willing to mortgage another 3-4 years to find out, I'd answer using an expletive followed by "no". That's the problem. Bear in mind, the average 17-18 year old was 12 the last time we were a premier school. Soon that will be 11, 10, 9, etc.

Despite never being a fan of the hire, or WM himself, I wanted to see him succeed because it would've meant UF succeeding. And I do think there may be some modest changes for the good in the past year. Unfortunately, I believe his time has run out. If you think the players and fans are not 100% bought in now, just imagine what they'll be like if he finishes poorly this year and returns for 2015. The apathy is bordering on scary territory as it is. Risking a further slide is the wrong move, imo. There's nothing that says we can't finish strong and put a lot of this discussion to rest. But that's squarely on him to make that happen. As a Gator, I still hope he does.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n81276 said:

The only problem is, how many coaches have records like Saban's at MSU but never become Nick Saban? Saban didn't become Saban until AFTER LSU, and the Phins.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n81339 said:
There's nothing that says we can't finish strong and put a lot of this discussion to rest. But that's squarely on him to make that happen. As a Gator, I still hope he does.
So you would be content with a strong finish (no championships) if it meant Muschamp was retained for an additional year or years? Half of us already have a loaded pistol in our mouths - we'd prefer not the pull the trigger.

Remember the Jim Jones flyover and all those dead bodies lying all over the place? Picture that being the Gator Nation.

[video=youtube;9FCYg4v9lBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FCYg4v9lBE[/video]
It's completely safe to say at this point the man has lost the fan base. Unless we win the SEC Championship, there's no justification for bringing him back. Absolutely none.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
oxrageous;n81452 said:
So you would be content with a strong finish (no championships) if it meant Muschamp was retained for an additional year or years? Half of us already have a loaded pistol in our mouths - we'd prefer not the pull the trigger.

Remember the Jim Jones flyover and all those dead bodies lying all over the place? Picture that being the Gator Nation.

[video=youtube;9FCYg4v9lBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FCYg4v9lBE[/video]
It's completely safe to say at this point the man has lost the fan base. Unless we win the SEC Championship, there's no justification for bringing him back. Absolutely none.

Well, by strong finish I mean essentially winning out, with fsu perhaps being an acceptable loss. In that scenario, we'd at least in the East and have a shot in Atl. And undoubtedly, that would be with Treon at QB, so there'd be some bright spots looking forward. Not sure exactly how I'd feel about that. But I would be much less opposed to him getting one last year than I am right now.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n81488 said:
Well, by strong finish I mean essentially winning out, with fsu perhaps being an acceptable loss. In that scenario, we'd at least in the East and have a shot in Atl. And undoubtedly, that would be with Treon at QB, so there'd be some bright spots looking forward. Not sure exactly how I'd feel about that. But I would be much less opposed to him getting one last year than I am right now.

after being here 4 years and fsu being an " acceptable loss" is just depressing. Just shows how much further ahead they are than us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.