Dinner time

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Daughter surprised me with the bell peppers my son brought home (he’s interning this summer at IFAS)...

49C24982-9D73-4E4A-8152-90825AC5A446.jpeg

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

This classic is pretty much a weekly staple with a 3 year old.
I’m just now getting my 7 yo to eat cow. He’ll eat long noodles for days. My 6 yo will eat anything. His new favorite is steamed “green thing” (i.e. artichoke). Asking me every night since Friday for more artichoke.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

This classic is pretty much a weekly staple with a 3 year old.

In school and just after, my mom would make tons of sauce and freeze it for me. Then I’d just have to buy the pasta. Basically, I ate spaghetti every night for several years. Any way it must’ve passed on genetically, because my oldest eats pasta pretty much every night. The younger one branches out, but not the 11 year old. We get him vegetables in other ways. But it’s some form of past every night.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@cover2 outstanding on the cubed steak. Looks like a great start for some gravy.
Thanks Coot. Ordinarily I would have made a pan of milk gravy, but we were out of rice (a fireable offense in some households). Equal parts flour and renderings plus milk and plenty of black pepper, simmer until it thickens...magic. As one of my great aunts would say “you can either eat it or rub it on your behind, that’s where it’s going to end up anyway!

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In school and just after, my mom would make tons of sauce and freeze it for me. Then I’d just have to buy the pasta. Basically, I ate spaghetti every night for several years. Any way it must’ve passed on genetically, because my oldest eats pasta pretty much every night. The younger one branches out, but not the 11 year old. We get him vegetables in other ways. But it’s some form of past every night.

If I had an Italian mother I definitely would’ve
done the same with the sauce . I know a lot of chefs rave about French cuisine , but for me nothing tops Italian or Greek chefs . The Greeks I’m convinced would squeeze fresh lemon over Cheerios . But nobody makes a better rack of lamb on planet Earth .

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If I had an Italian mother I definitely would’ve
done the same with the sauce . I know a lot of chefs rave about French cuisine , but for me nothing tops Italian or Greek chefs . The Greeks I’m convinced would squeeze fresh lemon over Cheerios . But nobody makes a better rack of lamb on planet Earth .
I lived with a gal that was 1/2 wetback for about 3 years that had been married to a Greek. Great cook but when that was over I couldn't even put lemon in my sweet tea. There are two things I do miss about her, one was her baklava.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I lived with a gal that was 1/2 wetback for about 3 years that had been married to a Greek. Great cook but when that was over I couldn't even put lemon in my sweet tea. There are two things I do miss about her, one was her baklava.

Moussaka is one of my personal Greek favorites . Spanakopita is a delight as well when prepared correctly . Non Greeks just don’t do that one justice . Tried it at one of my favorite steakhouses and it was nearly inedible .

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
She made sa pretty good spanakopita. I think my favorite dish of hers was dolemades, although this was one dish where the lemon could become overpowering.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was gonna guess her “gyro,” but I see spanakopita was mentioned :)

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Moussaka is one of my personal Greek favorites . Spanakopita is a delight as well when prepared correctly . Non Greeks just don’t do that one justice . Tried it at one of my favorite steakhouses and it was nearly inedible .
Mrs. G and I lived in Cyprus for four years so I had my fill of Greek food, but will admit that good Moussaka is hard to beat. I also really enjoyed Stifado and Pastitsio (Beef stew and Greek Lasagna for the uninitiated). Those familiar with Greek cuisine probably have enjoyed the Sagnaki - flaming Kasseri cheese - but this was not a thing in Cyprus for some reason. What they did have was a dense goat cheese called Halloumi that you fry up in a pan or on the grill. I've noticed it more and more here in the US, but it costs about 5-6 times what you paid in Cyprus. Another Greek dish I never had before going to Cyprus, though I understand they have it in Greece as well, is Kleftiko. Kleftiko is very slowly cooked lamb that cooks in it's own fat. The Cypriots would throw potatoes in for the last few hours so they soaked up all that fat too. It was fall off the bone delicious, but I swear you could actually feel your arteries hardening as you ate it. I never had it more than once or twice a year.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Grilled marinated chicken, with a kale, artichoke and cauliflower casserole (ricotta, garlic, parmesan)

252C8D03-7FC1-4EA9-A8DA-673E902BA992.jpeg

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Smoked pork shoulder turned out quite well
On Sunday evening
IMG_0515.JPG IMG_0518.JPG
IMG_0519.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread